ESA is a friendly animal providing companionship to people who suffer from psychological, mental or emotional incapacity. Dogs are considered the favorite pet for humankind as they are not only friendly, but obedient as well. Visually impaired people take their dogs along with them for a walk which helps them save from obstructions and thieves. Similarly, some keep cats, monkey, duck, etc. as their ESA.
However, there are some emotional support animal rules that have to be followed in every country as per their guidelines. Any pet can become ESA, if it provides any kind of stability to the disabled person. The pet needs to behave and function properly around other public and animals. Similar to the movie ‘Rise of the Planets of the Apes’, where Caesar was helpful to Charles, but was sent to shelter for injuring a neighbor.
ESA letter is given by a licensed professional if he or she finds their patient suffering from below mentioned disabilities –
- Learning disability
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Moto skills disorder
- Intellectual disabilities
An ESA letter, on the certified letterhead of your therapist, should be provided explaining the reason for ESA. This can be obtained from any therapist. If you’ve a problem look for a therapist, then try Support Pets online site where you can get ESA approval within 48 hours if you’re travelling or looking for housing.
Here are some benefits of ESA –
- When you pet an animal, it boosts your mood and relaxes your mind every time you play around with them.
- Those who have suffered with some trauma can get huge support from pet animal because they can speak to them and the news will not spread anywhere else.
- ESA help in improving health by reducing blood pressure, respiration rates, and help in coping with pain.
- Animals are best companion for human beings because they are available 24 hours a day. You can trust them blindly as they will never ditch you.
- They also give love and care in return to all love and care you give them. Therefore, they are considered to be the most obedient companion.
Two areas are primarily covered by ESA laws –
- According to the FHA, the landlord, building manager or owner needs to make adequate accommodation for the ESA in the premises.
- According to the ACAA, emotional support animals can fly with their owner inside plane cabin. However, you need to provide adequate information and documents 48 hours before travelling.
Any pet qualifies to become ESA, if you understand that pet provides relaxation and comfort from any sort of disability. Moreover, these pets don’t require any special training to assist you.