Interior designers love to use Tibetan rugs for the interior decoration and they are quite different from the traditional Persian rugs, however both are hand-knotted rugs. Basically, designers prefer Tibetan rugs because usually they are hand-knotted out of wool obtained from sheep grazing in the Tibet’s highland.
Tibetan wool will be richer in lanolin and after it is woven, it will be the softest textures that your feet will ever encounter. They are not really like Wool Shag rugs, but they may resemble the woollen and silken rugs.
You must check out the www.oatsandrice.com collections for authentic and hand-woven wool rugs that are procured directly from Tibet. They offer premium quality cashmere scarves that are made in Mongolia.
What is Tibetan rug?
Present day Tibetan rugs that you can get in the market are tied with different knot in comparison with Persian hand-knotted rugs. If you try to make comparison between handmade Tibetan rugs with hand-knotted wool of Persian rugs, then you can clearly observe the differences between the two, which will be glaringly apparent.
Following are the differences between Tibetan rugs and Persian rugs:
- Tibetan rugs are knotted differently and do not possess traditional designs that you can find in Persian rugs. Tibetan rugs have more modern designs and knots that you can see in Tibetan woollen rugs are faster to tie. Hence, Tibetan carpet will look thinner than traditional woollen Persian rug.
- Natural materials used for making their dyes are different. Most popular colours found in Tibetan rugs are usually yellows and greys while Persian rugs will feature bolder colour shades of blues, reds, golds, blacks and different variations of brown colours.
Why hand knitted rugs are preferred?
Following are few special reasons why hand knitted rugs are more preferred than machine knitted rugs.
- Craftsmanship – When the entire weaving process is done through hand spun yarn, all the hand knotted designs will be specially created by the artisan quite easily and display their skills entirely by hand.
- Quality – With this type of hand-woven rugs, the knot count will make unravelling impossible, and the rugs so created will last for lifetime.
- Bespoke – Every carpet made with Tibetan rug is of unique size, design and colour available for the custom selection.
- Luxury – Higher number of knots/square inch would mean that rugs will never feel like flat.
Ensure that you are making real deal
While considering Tibetan rugs purchase, you must be very sure that the rugs that you are buying are actually from Tibet. You may also enquire about country of origin. You can also turn your rug over to ensure that rug is really hand-knotted instead of hand tufted.
Hand-tufted knots usually are made by using machine and hence their lines are normally straight and standard, which is easy to detect.
Also, hand-tufted rugs are never knotted but stitched. They may not last like hand-knotted carpet. Another important thing that you will notice that since hand-knotted rugs have been done by hand and hence their rows for the knots may vary in size and also the straightness of lines.